Computer Fettling

My main PC now has a nice shiney new NEC DVD burner, and a previously enjoyed ATI Radeon 9100 graphics card. All being well, the blank DVDs will arrive in the next day or so, then I can back up some of my documents and photos.

Tomorrow is the big server replacement at work that I’ve been working on for several weeks. We are replacing our main, and somewhat aging, SQL server with a much more powerful, and hopefully much more resilient setup. We are starting at 8am, and intending to be back up and running by 9am. We’ve done as much testing as we can think of, the only slight fly in the ointment is the lack of a full-time SQL DBA at the moment, but that just makes it all the more interesting.

All that remains then is for me to try and shift this bloody annoying half-arsed cold that I’ve still got.

This entry was posted in Tech. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Computer Fettling

Ha ha! My cold’s full on!!

Oh….crap……

Hope your SQLing goes ok, you have too many server related nightmares.

3. Father says:

I too have a new shiny NEC DVD burner, and a new shiny ATI 9600XT. I too await the arrival of the blanks! And now I’ve found a systemagic power splitter I shall soon have another 120gb hard drive. I can then make DVDs of our little Richards childhood videos! Can you contain the excitement!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!! HURRY UP!!!! WE WANT LITTLE RICHIE VIDEOS!!!!!! :-)

Systemagic power splitter? I think I need one of those and another hard drive…….

I refuse accept that RICHARD was ever LITTLE :o)

6. Olly says:

I want an ATi 9800Pro please. Though this dodgy GeForce with a loose connection somewhere seems OK now that the floppy drive cable is pulling down on it slightly :o)

So, who reckons that the reason that Rich has been quiet today is because everything went tits-up?

:-$

It went slightly tits up in that one application doesn’t work, but the developer who wrote it insisted we upgrade the server there and then so it could be tested, and promptly fucked off home leaving us unable to test it anyway.

So one fairly inconsequential part still doesn’t work, and quite frankly I don’t care.

Everything else was up and running before 9am.

Cool, makes a change for things to go fairly smoothly :^)
    Not sure I want to see little Richie videos though!

OMG, I hope they are not videos of THAT “little Richie”

/shudder

11. alex says:

the only downer on the little richie vids being aired is that little alex may well be there too. i therefore join the campaign to ban the richie vid!

Is that Little Richie, with the metal hat?