Fairport’s Cropredy Convention 2009 – Cropredy

This year we did the full three-days at Cropredy, heading up on the Thursday morning for the 4pm start. The weather was a lot better this year, sunny on Thursday and Saturday, and overcast on the Friday. Due to this I came home with a sunburn rather than soaking wet kit which made a nice change from last year.

A few brief comments on the bands.

Thursday
Harlequin – Too much talking, and too much Michael Jackson
4 Square – Good
Ken Nichol and Phil Cool – Rubber Faced Irritant
Buzzcocks – Raucous, load, shouty, fantastic
Steve Winwood – No idea, I went to bed

Friday
ColvinQuarmby – Irritatingly over-enthusiastic twat, death by jazz-hands.
Megan and Joe Henwood – Good
Scott Matthews – Thom Yorke does folk, badly.
The Bad Shepherds – Fantastic
John Jorgensen Band – Fret-wank frenzy
The Dodge Brothers – Skiffle-tastic
Richard Thompson – Superb
Seth Lakeman – Accomplished

Saturday
Richard Digence – The usual songs, the usual jokes. Amusing start to the day
Churchfitters – Eclectic selection of instruments
Feast of Fiddles – What a lot of fiddlers
Dreadzone – Sunny fun, very good, fitted in surprisingly well.
Nik Kershaw – We now know who is to blame for Chesney Hawkes.
Ralph McTell – Good, played his one hit fairly early on.
Fairport Convention & Friends – Very good as always, guest spots from Yusuf, Richard Thompson and others.

Cropredy 2009 photos

This entry was posted in Bad Shepherds, Fairport Convention, Gigs, Richard Thompson. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Fairport’s Cropredy Convention 2009 – Cropredy

Think I’d have watched Steve Winwood rather than go to bed.

2. rich says:

To be fair, it was Lauren who wanted to go to bed, so we put her to bed and got pissed in the camp site.

Not all bad then :)

4. Father says:

I played support to Stevie Winwood when he was with The Spencer Davis Group, about 1965 at the Savoy Rooms, Midsomer Norton! The fans tried to tip our van into the brook!!
    My other claim to fame was providing the amplification kit to the Walker Brothers at the Corn Exchange, Bristol, when the didn’t turn up! Lucky to escape alive on both occasions!! Bit I don’t suppose the Walker Brothers would do Cropredy.

5. Mother says:

……. when the what didn’t turn up?

> I played support to Stevie Winwood when he was with The Spencer Davis Group, about 1965 at the Savoy Rooms, Midsomer Norton!

Fantastic!

> The fans tried to tip our van into the brook!!

You should have kept on running :)

7. Nicky says:

Seth Lakeman just doesn’t ‘move’ me at all.. not offensive in any way just all a bit magnolia. Glad you had a good time. Nice not getting soaking wet isn’t it ;)

8. Rich says:

I know what you mean about Seth Lakeman, I’m sure he’s very good, it’s just not my kind of thing. The lack of rain was a nice bonus, I didn’t even mind the sunburn.