The Fujifilm X100 isn’t the obvious camera to use when taking photos of cycle racing, but I gave it a go.
Click the pic for the full album.
I gave up and set them up tubeless, much less hassle.
The Hope 20Five wheels come supplied with 10mm Velox tape, this is too narrow to even cover both sides of the spoke holes in the rim, and so is worse than useless.
A single wrap of insulation tape isn’t quite enough with the back tyre puncturing after a few days without even being ridden. After removing the tyre it showed that the tape had shifted around in the rim uncovering a couple of holes.
16mm Velox tape covers the holes nicely at first, but also shifts around in the rim causing punctures, and it’s thick enough to stop the bead popping in to place.
13mm Velox tape fits into the channel better, but still shifts slightly and causes more punctures.
In the end I settled for two layers of decent insulation tape, one butted up to each side of the rim. The tyres pop in to place nicely at 80psi or so, and there should hopefully be enough tape in the middle to protect the tube from the spoke holes. 21mm Stans tape would probably be a better option, but there’s nowhere local open on a Sunday to buy any.
The wheels survived the first test ride, the tyres certainly inject a bit of speed to the Croix de Fer, but it’s loses some of it’s ‘magic carpet’ ride quality compared to the 38mm Schwalbe G One tyres.
I’d been toying with the idea of a new cross/gravel/gnarmac/whatever bike for a few years. I have a Singular Peregrine which is rather heavy, a bit ponderous, but virtually bomb-proof. However I’ve never felt comfortable on it for longer distances, so I needed something to replace or augment it.
After much deliberation I ended up with a Genesis Croix de Fer 30 which fortunately looks much nicer in the flesh than it does in the catalogue and on the website.
It’s got a full Shimano 105 drivetrain with hydraulic disc brakes, and mostly Genesis own-brand parts.
I’ve already replaced the Genesis seatpost with a more suitable 3T one, and while doing that changed the saddle to a Fabric Scoop because it was already on the seatpost. It needed a 10mm shorter stem, and the original tyres have been replaced with 38mm Schwalbe G-Ones which are a bit grippier than the original Clement X’Plor USH, and slightly lighter despite the increase in size.
It’ll probably gain a rack later in the year for a spot of credit-card touring.
I never thought I’d find myself doing an FTP test, but I did, and they are evil. Never again.
Well, maybe not for a week or two anyway.
More photos: Bespoked Bristol 2015